Randal John Metz
Artistic Director of The Puppet Company
|Professional Puppet Training From:
- Lewis Mahlmann - Director of Children's Fairyland's Storybook Puppet Theater,
and notable American puppeteer.
"Puppet Construction, scripting, artistic technique & know-how"
1970 - 2014
- Lettie Shubert - Hand puppet manipulator and television
puppeteer of the 50's.
Doll sculptor and costumer.
manipulation and style"
1970 - 2006
- Bob Baker - Marionette artist in Los Angeles, and creator of
Disneyland windows, movie effects and marionettes.
Marionette showmanship, crafting and manipulation"
1985 - 1989
- Jerry Juhl - Head Writer for The Muppets.
"Writing and scripting
through personal classes"
|Theatrical & Artistic History:
- B.A. in Theater Arts - San Francisco State University.
focusing on acting, scene design and children's
theater. Graduated "Cum Laude." 1985
- Knowland Park Zoo - Puppet Theater Director
under supervision of William Penn Mott Jr.
Created shows for Oakland's Baby Zoo. 1979 - 80
- Children's Fairyland, Oakland - Director of "The Storybook Puppet Theater" The oldest, ongoing
professional puppet theater
in the U.S.
1991 - Today
- The Big John Strong Circus - Puppeteer for Two
United States Tours.
1987 & 1988
- Past President & Vice President of The San Francisco Bay Area Puppetry
Guild (several years each)
- Participant in a two-week extensive college workshop on the history of puppetry, Survey of Puppet
Theater Techniques, taught by The Muppets Creative Staff and Performers
- Performed puppet presentation of Stravinsky's "History of a Soldier" with
The San Francisco Chamber Orchestra and Lewis Mahlmann
- Director and/or actor in local Community Theater
- Author of "Storybook Strings - 50 Years of Puppetry at Children's Fairyland's
Storybook Puppet Theater", "Creating a Fairyland - 60 Years of Magic at Children's Fairyland U.S.A.", "Making Puppets The Fairyland Way", "Images of America - Children's Fairyland". Available through Fairyland at www.fairyland.org or from www.charlemagnepress.com and Arcadia books publishing.
- A Featured Puppet Theater in the 2006 calendar of "American Puppet
Theaters" from The Puppeteers of America